Things I can't eat:

Allergic to: Peanuts. Tree Nuts. Legumes (includes beans, peas). Seeds. Soy. Raw Fruit. Raw Vegetables.

Friday, October 10, 2014

Hold the Nuts

Howdy, folks. If you're here, you're probably allergic to something and looking for advice, or maybe a good recipe. Or you love food. Or you love me. (Hey, Mom & Dad!) 

I've always been allergic to nuts. When I was three, a cookie almost killed me, and life's been a recipe-reading ride ever since. Around 12 or 13, I noticed that apples made my mouth itch. So did oranges, clementines and my beloved grapefruits. I was chased down the boardwalk by Mr. Peanut, and through the lunchroom by a kid with PB&J. In college, a banana made my tongue swell. The freshman 15 never happened for me, because I was too afraid to eat anything other than chicken, and/or veggies. My junior year, someone asked me (through her mouth full of birthday cake) what diet I was on, because I looked "totally amazing." My response? "The one where food is out to kill me."

I tend to have...ironic luck. When I wanted a room with a view, I got the ground floor apartment with a reception desk window. I love food, so of course I'm a bucket full of allergies. Of course. 

I have spent the past year of my life living abroad, where legumes roam free and barrels of nutty doom sit beside gorgeous treasure troves of tea. Where a walk through the market means, "hold your breath. don't touch that. don't buy that. don't eat that." 

I get crazy eyes when someone eats fruit in front of me. I imagine the explosion of juice, and eat vicariously through my friends. Eating healthy has always been a struggle for me. Without fruit, nuts, or seeds,  there are no safe/healthy "grab-n-go's" for me. Granola bars are off limits. Forget about trail mix. And fruit is an obvious no-no. People often ask me "what do you eat?"

This blog is a survival guide to life with allergies. Like...a lot of them. If you have allergies, I hope I help. If you love food, I hope you laugh. If you love me, well...then you probably already know everything I'm writing about. Onward! And please, hold the nuts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment